Tis the season to kick off winter festivities with Lorain’s annual Waterfront Winterfest.
Here are some things to know before you go:
• Waterfront Winterfest will be 4 to 9 p.m. Nov. 25. It’s free and open to the public.
• The festival will be at Veterans Memorial Park at the corner of Erie Avenue and Washington Avenue. A free shuttle bus route is available.
• Santa will arrive at 5 p.m. on the “Red Express” accompanied by superheroes and elves. At 5:55 p.m. Santa will “light up” Veterans Park. Santa will be at the Lorain Palace Theater from 6 to 9 p.m. to visit with children. Santa also will be at the Palace from 3 to 7 p.m. Nov. 26, and Dec. 2, 3, 9, 10, 16 and 17.
• Storyland will be open from 5 to 8 p.m. at Northwest Annex, 453 Broadway, where children can hear stories and play games for prizes. Storyland will continue to be open from 4 to 7 p.m. Nov. 26, and December 2, 3, 9, 10, 16 and 17.
• A special performance by The Windjammers will be from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Charleston Coffee House, 610 Broadway.
• Anyone can sponsor a toy soldier that will be mounted on a lamp post along Broadway during the Winterfest. The soldier can feature a family, business or organization’s name on its belt. New sponsors pay $200, and returning sponsors pay $100. Additional information and sponsorship forms can be found at lorainwinterfest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Toy-Soldier-Sponso.pdf.
• The International Tree and Model Train Display will be featured during the festival at 421 Black River Lane, and from Nov. 25 through Dec. 30. Hours are 5 to 9 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, and 3 to 7 p.m. Sundays. The display is free to the public, and donations are accepted.
Additional activities on the Nov. 25 Winterfest schedule include the following:
• fireworks 6 p.m.
• a fire and ice tower lighting, 6:30 p.m.
• appearances by Elsa and Anna, 5 to 6 p.m.
• reindeer petting zoo, 4 to 8 p.m.
• crafts sponsored by the Arts Council, 5 to 9 p.m.
• a children’s program at the Main Branch of the Lorain Public Library, 6:30 p.m.
• free tours of the Moore House, sponsored by the Lorain Historical Society, 5 to 7 p.m.
Find more information on Waterfront Winterfest at lorainwinterfest.com